20060724

Oeufs en cocotte

Well, Blogger.com is once again having some technical difficulties (or rather, I am), and I've got a need to write, so I shall write in my log and post later. I just finished washing my truck and putting Rain-X all over the windshield. That stuff is awesome. Rain-X is one of those things, though, that agrees with the saying, "Less is more." You put on just a little bit and work it in, let it dry, get as much as you can get off in two hours of back-breaking circular motions, and for two months afterward you never realize it's raining until your road gets washed out and a million houses are swept away in the current. You put on too much, and you get scuff marks all over your windshield that block out the three suns we've been noting in the sky lately. (For those of you who had to run out to look, you probably have too much Rain-X on your windshields. We still have only one sun. When it's not raining, that is.)

Anywho, Dante looks gorgeous again. I also tackled the inside of the windshield with some glass cleaner because last night I kept seeing Mac trucks and comets coming at me. Uh, Mack trucks... apparently Aflac's Macs are too fresh in my mind these days... But it turned out there was a film on the inside of the glass and it was causing sun and headlights to glare so bad I thought aliens had descended upon my truck and decided to do an inspection of their own.

Enough about my driving and cleaning expeditions. I got back in the house, grabbed a cold drink, and settled in front of my computer to check email. (I know, I can't believe it either.) Lo and behold, I get an email from the Hamster Lady. That be the woman who gave me Sandy and Peaches. She must be insane for doing so, because they are the cutest little critters... but anyway, she thanked me for the update on their most recent adventures. Then she added that I should get a boy hamster so I could have babies. (Of course it took me a second to realize she meant /Sandy and Peaches/ could have babies, not me...) This, after I'd written her, telling of how Sandy is a carpet/door/washcloth digger and how bold and fearless she is. Now, quiet little scowling Peaches, maybe, but can you imagine /Sandy/ having babies??

I can see it now:

Sandy Juniors running all over town digging under doors, ripping washcloths, tearing up socks, invading gardens... they'd be scarier than bunny wabbits!! This town (and probably the surrounding areas) would never be the same!! People would be driven from their homes, livestock would flee, birds would permanently migrate...

I replied back and told her that birth control [i.e., abstinence] is a goooooood thing. Besides, there's only one Sandy anyway. I'd hate for her to give up even a moment of her plundering to hammiebirth. That would be almost as bad as me giving up a minute of computer time to blow-dry my hair. Completely unnecessary, therefore a waste! That's really all I had to say. I think I'll take a swig of water, check water and food supplies for all the critters, and see if I can remember how to get Blogger to come up again. It's either firefox, my firewall, or me... probably the latter.

Oh, to explain the title of this post, though... I learned how to make Oeufs en cocotte. Don't ask me how to pronounce that. It's a french name that refers to what we apparently call "shirred" eggs. In other words, you drop two eggs in a lightly greased, small glass bake dish, sprinkle on seasoning, add a tablespoon of milk to prevent drying, and pop in a preheated 325F oven for about 15 minutes. The recipe said 12-14, but mine needed 15. It's not exactly the hottest oven... it was good, and perfectly cooked, with a nice thick but runny yolk. It also slid very nicely out of the baking dish with only a bit of effort. Methinks it was like a cross between fried, poached, and hardboiled. I like all three so I'll be making this a lot more often (plus it's extremely easy to clean up after).

Okay, THAT was all I had to say. :)

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home