20060704

Files Be Gone

Yanno, I was just starting to like Windoze again. But then I redid everything... and went to put my 200GB drive in which contains all my pictures... and it wanted to do an error check on drive J. Which is the drive with the pictures. Now, error checks are fine, but I happen to recall from experience a point in time when I'd used Partition Magic on this drive. When I rebooted, Windoze did an error check. While in progress, I was informed that certain directories were being deleted. I was horrified and couldn't stop it because it was already in progress, so I rebooted the computer, skipped the error check, and found several directories were indeed missing! However, their /space/ was still being utilized.

I booted into Mepis and sure enough, the directories and files were still there. Go figure. I used Mepis to copy all files to a good partition and rebooted. Windows still wanted to do the error check on the same drive, but the files were recovered and Windows could once more see them. Deleted my butt.

Well, I wasn't about to let this happen again before I attempted to save the files ahead of time. However, despite skipping the error checking, half the files were ok and half look like an alien from outer space got to them. They're all boxes and weird ASCII characters, some of which I didn't even know existed.

I booted into my EBCD (since the Live CD versions of Mepis, Kanotix, and Knoppix will not allow you to write to your hard drive without some special tweaking which I've forgotten how to do)... vóìlá! Copied files to another Windows drive. Now Windows can see them just fine, so I then moved them to their new "proper" location. This will take a while, but I figure a few overnights should fix my problem. Then the drive is getting freshly formatted and repartitioned properly, which it hasn't enjoyed since I used Partition Magic while Windows was running.

Now granted, I probably screwed up my own hard drive, but why is it that Windows is the ONLY operating system that can't understand the drive's table? Explain that to me...

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home