20040410

Date Code

OMG!! I just realized why I've been using a date code for as long as I can remember!! It's because I'm a GEEK!! And computer-oriented!! See, back when I was in Junior High (or was it before that? I can't remember anymore), I created what I thought was an original dating system. I felt that Saturday, April 10, 2004 was simply bloated and inefficient, so I made it into this: 4200404106 - where 4 = A.D. (3 is B.C., not that I've ever used it much), 2004=the year, 04=the month (April), 10=the date (10th), and 6=day of the week (Saturday). I've used this system mainly for notes and poetry but it has graced other things as well. At some point I began adding a dash to the end with a number after it to indicate the order I did a set of things in (paintings, poetry, etc, on the same date). And more recently, I've taken the day of the week off and added the time in the military format: HH:MM:SS. This is very helpful to me with digital pictures and is the reason I figured that out. Also much more efficient than adding a dash-number to the end as they are definitely consecutive.

So anyway, I was just researching C and stumbled across Cygwin again. That's when I noticed that other people have also used this type of system! Computers are naturally inclined to use the year first, month, then date, because that is technically the correct configuration to accurately sort by date. You do it by month, day, and year, and you get it all sorted by month. If you have more than one year in there, that means all the Januarys are together regardless of how you want them. Anyway, at cygwin.com, down by "smartmontools," there's an example of a similar date code as I've been fondly calling it for some time now. Their date is 20040225 (obviously February 25th, 2004).

Anyone familiar with Unix will probably recall that its logs use a similar code, too. Since earlier friends never figured out my own code very well, and my geeky friends never even ask me about it, I'm concluding that it's a geek-thing, something that geeks are very aware of either because it's the way their brains are wired or because they deal with computers and so they've got that experience. Regardless, I'm so happy I finally found what seems to be a correlation between my date code and a computer's!! ::does happy geek dance::

Happily dancing over here,

~nvnohi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home