20040318

Audacity / hdogg220

Yanno, I have to say, Audacity is an awesome program. So's hdogg220 for that matter! Woke up WAY too early this morning, you see, because I fell asleep early last night in front of the TV. X-Files came on at some point and apparently roused my attention; I woke up just in time to see the last ten minutes and then Gremlins 2 came on and scared the bejeezus out of me. (I know it's a cute movie, but it still has suspense in it. Shut up.) Of course by this time my attention turned to Selene, so on she went. Browsed IBM laptops for a while, then realized I've been meaning to convert some tapes to mp3. Since I have the next few days off, I decided to go ahead and begin that nice time-consuming project.

On went HDOGG220 and all the necessary audio tweaks to get the sound levels connected and correct. Every time I do that it's a PITA because I do it so seldom that I have to relearn the tweak places for the sound card. Ten minutes later I had that all figured out and tested. Sounded good, so I began recording my first tape: Animal Logic.

To convert these things to MP3 is a bit roundabout. I LOVE hdogg because it's not only standalone, but it's also an easy app to use. You open it up, put a suitable name and path in the file box, and hit a button. Instant recording, and when the first song on the tape ends, you can hit this one little scissors button and the program automatically creates and continues recording a new file for the new song.

Of course, I still like to cut off the silence at both ends wherever it happens to occur. Plus, sometimes I forget to click the scissors button and so I end up letting two songs sit together in one file. Ugh. That's where Audacity comes in.

Audacity is similar to Cakewalk in my eyes, but a LOT smaller. Like hdogg, it's a standalone program and very small despite being full of useful features. I open a box with all my newly-created ogg files, and drag and drop one onto Audacity. There I edit the song a bit. One song had been cut off prematurely (I remember doing that, too). Ack! I highlight the last part of the song and go into the effects menu. There - BEHOLD!! - within that menu is a beautiful little effect called "fade out." No more re-recording. Let's just shorten the song! hahaha! So now the song is a bit shorter, but still sounds professionally recorded.

I then finish editing and save the song as a .wav just for fun. I'll be converting that to mp3 using dBpowerAMP once I'm done with the rest of the album in Audacity. (Note: another awesome program is dBpowerAMP!!)

::happy sigh:: I love these awesome programs. Thus far the finished songs sound just like the tape, or so close I can't tell the difference. And the nice thing about converting and recording stuff is that I don't dare to use much on Selene, so my house gets cleaner whilst I wait...

Musically geeky and very efficient,

~nvnohi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home