20040110

TOOLS!!

I almost forgot why I logged into groups in the first place!! I had to ramble on and on about some stuff I bought today!!

See, it all started with a plan to go food-shopping. I've been trying to find a 1/4" Nut Driver and bits that include a #2 phillips and a #15 torx, but it had to be small enough to fit in my jacket pocket. I searched ALL OVER the internet and finally found something somewhat good, but it was still not quite what I wanted.

So I'm downtown today, headed toward the foodstore, and I stumble across this wellknown hardware store which I often pass but rarely go into (last time, I believe I was looking for an electronics soldering kit and they were all out so I went to Radio Crack - I mean, Shack - instead). I'm thinking, hmmm, hardware store, tools, hardware store, tools... might be a connection there, somewhere. So I went in.

Lo and behold, they had ALMOST exactly what I wanted, and it was half the price of the other thing I'd seen (which I would also have had to pay S&H for)!! Not only that, but it's bright fluorescent green and is, methinks, actually better in all. This is what I almost bought:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00947480000

And I don't have a link to the one I just bought, but it was only $6 or so and I got it fast (no shipping you see) and it's GREEN!! I got two of them, one for home, one for my jacket. Yay!! Now I'll ALWAYS have my tools on me!! That one screwdriver combined with my pda, a boot diskette, killdisk, cracker, w95&w98se cab files (two mini cdrs, same size as a diskette!!), bent paperclip, foldup keyboard, pocket mirror, penlight and retractable razor ... ALL I NEED for most everything I ever do anywhere I am!! And the best part is, it all fits into my winter jacket pockets!! (I've only got five, bummer.) Technically, if I really wanted to, I could probably stuff my miniature IR printer in there, too, but... hmmm... might have to get rid of the cell phone...

Anyway, this screwdriver is so cool. It's just like the one in that link except it's green and not a Craftsman (big whup as far as I'm concerned). It has a #1 and #2 Phillips, Slotted 1/4 and 3/16in, 10 and 15 Torxes, two square recesses, and the nut drivers (1/4 YAY and 5/16). And it's only 7ish" from tip to tip when fully loaded. I can take the shafts apart and it reduces the longest length to 4.5"!! But it'll fit (barely) into my pocket without having to do THAT... LOL

I LOVE this tool...

Oh yeah, and I got a few other cool things, too, when I ended up at Walmart. A spanish-style wineskin!! Yes!! A WINESKIN!! You know, like the canteen-like thing that Frodo drinks from in LOTR? Yeah, that. It's quite old-fashioned and I've been wanting one for like, years. Finally happened upon one!! AND I found THE coolest foldup tool... it's pliers, three knives, saw, the usual swiss army type stuff (minus the toothpick and tweezers, hmmm) and it actually has this square recess tool on it that doubles as a driver! The thing included nine bits, one of which fits over that square piece and turns the whole ensemble into a 1/4" nut driver. Talk about awesome. It's magnetic, though, not ball-bearing, so I refuse to use it on computer stuff, but whoa, what a thing to have. And it was wayyyy cheaper than the stuff I'd been drooling over on the 'net recently.

What else... Oh yeah, some cable clamps, very useful, and I finally broke down and bought a knife sharpening stone. Also picked up some more wooden matches. ALMOST bought some waterproof ones, but... maybe next time. AND I got a scale. I've never ever ever had one before. My weight stays fairly constant for one thing. But regardless, I figured I could get one. (Now watch, my weight will be on my mind more and I'll probably become a blob or something. Nah.) Oh!! Oh!! AND I got a TEA INFUSER!!!! YESSS!!! Finally!! The style is EXACTLY what I've been wanting!! It's a mesh ball when closed, attached to two hinged sections that function as the handle. You squeeze them together to open the ball into two halves, put the loose tea in, let it shut, and vóìlá! Instant teabag (sorta). Brews strong, too, if I do say so myself. Certainly better than the funky thin-mesh plastic doohickeymajiggie that I bought a while back. This one actually lets the water in. And cleanup is a snap - haha, literally! Open, fling contents into trash, and rinse. Big deal, huh? WAY COOL!!

I love shopping...

Well, I'm craving the biggest cup of chai... must be withdrawal. So I'm gonna go get myself some and keep playing with my new toys. Hehheh. Whups, too late. Couldn't wait to hit Publish before getting Chai... LOL

~nvnohi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home