20060529

dehydration

I've finally come to a pre-conclusion that maybe I'm dehydrated all the time and it's so normal for me that I don't know it. My reasoning:
1. I've never drank as much as I "should." (I barely wash down 30 oz a day outside of food, and sometimes not that much).
2. I've always been a "camel" (i.e., peed every 6-12 hours, averaging 8).
3. I've never sweat very much and seldom use deodorant unless I think I might exert myself.
4. Symptoms for sunstroke/heatstroke and dehydration are very similar to what I often experience when I'm in the sun for more than a few minutes at a time. (Fatigue, difficulty "hearing" people (lack of prolonged concentration), nausea, headache, dizziness, inability to concentrate on my own thoughts, falling asleep.)

So, I'm going to try to drink more, even if I have to force water down my own throat... and see if that clears things up for me. Because quite frankly, I'm tired of being tired in the sun or shortly after being in the sun. I can only assume that since there are no other sun-related illnesses that include the above symptoms, that perhaps the sun heats me up quickly and amplifies the dehydration. This could explain why I notice the effects primarily during or shortly after sun-related activities and seldom at any other time.

Now... I also wonder if dehydration can irritate mosquito bites. Those little buggers have almost always caused larger-than-most-get itchy lumps, and whenever I'm bitten on my head or neck, I get two little hard [lymph nodes?] on the back of my neck for about a week after the last bite. I used to think I was more allergic to mosquitoes than other people but maybe it's a lack of fluid washing the poison away. Who knows...

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home