20060105

Doozie Over, And Some Techniques

The doozie of a day is actually over, I think. Went off to play table tennis and exercised my body into exhaustion. Hard to feel angry about nothing when you're too darned tired! I made sure I jumped around a lot to help myself achieve this. Even made up a new move - which I can complete successfully about a quarter of the time. It's a serve (probably highly illegal, but in practice with someone who doesn't seem to care how I serve, it's fun). I basically take the ball in my right hand, life my right knee up, flip the ball under it, then quickly lift my left knee and swing the paddle with my left hand to hit the ball from beneath my left knee. It was one of those things that developed out of something I naturally (albeit strangely) did. Earlier in the session I'd gone to serve a ball, tossed it up, and swung UNDER my knee instead of just hitting the ball. I have no idea why, but it worked, it was a decent serve! Since I've always enjoyed throwing the ball up from beneath a knee and then hitting it normally, I guess it was logical to follow that I figured out the fun in my new serve. I've more control as above, although I did manage to successfully do it a few times opposite.

Another thing I came up with today - and this was while I was trying to figure out how to express my unprovoked anger this morning - is a form of dancing. The concept was necessary since me jumping up and down in the livingroom will shake everything off the walls and such. Old house, you see, with a basement - not the cement/ground floors I'm used to from my old place! I still love dancing, however. What to do, what to do? So I threw on my Pulse CD and thought for a moment as the first tune came on. Lay on my back!! Of course!! They do this sort of thing in exercises, why not adapt the idea to dancing? So I lay on my back, then pushed my feet upward until I was actually balanced more on my neck and shoulderblades than on my back. I held myself up by putting my hands on my butt, and ... danced pretty much upside down.

It was... interesting, exhilarating, and more creative than I'd figured it'd be. Given my knowledge of the tunes, I "choreographed" my movements a bit: Lift feet up, legs straight, slowly... slowly... spread 'em as if I were doing a sideways split... back together... left foot forward, right foot back... other direction... spread 'em again... bicycle riding... that sort of thing. Then I started pumping one foot upward a couple times, alternated to the other, and the next thing I knew, I was also moving my floored shoulders beneath the weight of my little self!

So, I've learned a couple things today. One, I have a new serve. And two, when you're irritable and feel like dancing but don't dare lest you knock things off old walls, dance upside-down.

And for the record - exercise IS good for the mind as well as the body. If nothing else, it exhausts all the cares right out of you! :)

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home