20051228

Cleanup time

I can NOT believe how much CRAP can accumulate on a mere 440GB of drivespace! Cripes!!

On Raven SO far, I have:

1. Changed the timeout setting in Mepis so it defaults to Windows XP in 5 seconds instead of 18
2. Changed the timeout setting in Windows XP so it boots in 1 second instead of 30
3. Changed the users setting in XP to autoboot into my admin account (normally I hit enter to bypass the password screen)

All of the above is allowing bootup time in roughly 30 seconds instead of a minute. I know. 30 seconds is still too long even for XP. But it's very noticeably better to me. It would be to you too if you had previously turned on the computer and went off to brush your teeth, etc. Now I can check email on Selene instead.

4. Reconstructed the Start Menu and dumped all "unnecessary" shortcuts into a folder on the desktop while reorganizing the ones I actually wanted

Talk about neat... you should have seen it before...

5. Installed and ran EZ Cleaner and cleaned up well over 200 invalid registry entries, a few bad shortcuts, and a few thousand duplicate files (most of which were music files I had scattered all across the hard drive, you know, you grab some, make a CD for the ol' truck, and of course forget 'em...)
6. Dumped a gazillion duplicated program files on various drives that mirrored each other (these are called backups, I do them every time I move things around and forget to later delete them)

The above two cleared well over 10 GB of space...

7. Dumped unnecessary files and dumped the Recycle Bin (how things get in the latter I've NO clue...)

Anywho, Raven was definitely due for a cleaning!! :)

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home