20050715

Leave the singing to the stars

I've been listening to Martin Page today, since yesterday I had the inclination to do so but for some reason never did ever get around to it. I forget exactly what spawned my interest in his music again. It had been months since I last thought of his CD sitting in that drawer. I only know that it was something that occurred while I was with my boyfriend.

Well, there's a song Martin did called "I Was Made For You" and it /almost/ pushed a poem out of me. While listening to the soulful emotion in his voice, I heard him sing, "What are these arms for if I can't hold you through the night? What does this heart beat for if I can't lay by your side? You must know, I was made for you." The lyrics themselves never struck me as so absolutely beautiful before! They're so simple! Yet it dawned on me today how simplicity is often the only necessary means to express something so profoundly emotional. I've been struggling with my own poetry, knowing that no matter what I write, it doesn't fully express how I feel about someone so special in my life. There are no really illustrious words that could ever convey these feelings to anyone who did not already understand them.

Martin Page couldn't convey them, either. His simple, yet concise, choice of words came across to me only as a strong feeling that invoked tears within my heart until today. The only hint of emotion I could fully grasp was the reverberations within his voice. This alone was so powerful that my heart would always attempt to catch up to them, saddened that it couldn't understand how they could be so heavy yet float right past as if in their own world.

But I do understand now. The only reason I understand is because I've been experiencing the feeling first-hand. If I could sing and sing well, my own voice would soar above the skies and carry on it the emotion of love. It would convey everything Martin's voice does. And I know that the only people who would fully appreciate it would be the people who have had the utmost pleasure in finding themselves caught up in the same feeling.

"What are these arms for if I can't hold you through the night? What does this heart beat for if I can't lay by your side? You must know, I was made for you." How often in the past few months have I "heard" these lyrics in our eyes? How often have I felt the need to crawl into his chest and snuggle up next to his heart, knowing I cannot (for obvious physical reasons), settling for laying by his side instead, resting my head upon his chest, listening to his heart calling to me, thumping out my name? How often have I felt so close to him as he's simply held me late at night, under no pretenses or guises? How often have we noticed the "perfect fit" between us, like interlocking pieces of a two-piece puzzle? There is no doubt why my mind finally caught these lyrics for what they are. The emotions began to grab. I heard no words at first. And then my memory kicked in and the emotions attached themselves to the words more and more until I finally heard those three simple lines. The song... is... us. Right here, right now. No longer does my heart soar with the song part-way until it loses the scent of the chase. It has found the cause behind it. My heart sings its own song. Yet I realized in a split-second that we are not exactly great singers ourselves. As Martin sang those lines, I thought briefly that it was my boyfriend. Definitely not his forté, I'm sure. For a briefer moment I was slightly disappointed that he could never sing to me like that! Yet upon this very thought, I wondered why I'd entertain that thought at all. Am I happy with him as he is? Absolutely. Do I love him for who he is? Yes, I do. Am I glad to spend every possible moment with him? Yes, I am. Is there more than enough personality in him to pique my interests time and time again? Yes, there is!! He is the most interesting, happy, honest, funloving person I have ever met. He knows himself very well. He's smart. He's kind and sweet and caring and interested in so many things I can scarcely keep up. He does not compete in any of his sports. He plays for fun and to better himself. He gets excited when he does well and is happy when others do well, too. He's positive and upbeat. He's demonstrated to me the value of each sport he loves, not by arguing any points but by inviting me to be open minded and watch his joy. No, it does not matter to me whether his voice can soar into the skies or not, because his whole being is already there.

Well, Martin's song /almost/ pushed a poem out of me, I said. Truth is, as I thought all this in a split second, I came up with but a fleeting single line. The shortest "poem" I've ever written, it was all I needed to express myself at that moment in time: "Leave the singing to the stars."

I now end this post with the song's complete lyrics.

I WAS MADE FOR YOU
by Martin Page
(copyright 1995)

Take this man who comes to you, take me to your side.
I throw away my soulless days; I need you in my life.
In the doorway of my heart, the presence of you shines.
So put your face to my window; trust what you see inside.

What are these hands for if I can't bring you fallen rain?
What are these eyes for if I can't see the moon watch over you?
What are these arms for if I can't hold you through the night?
What does this heart beat for, if I can't lay by your side?
You must know, I was made for you. (Yeah.)

I'll meet you by the wisdom tree and I'll hold you so close.
Come on out of the wilderness.
Let love free you from your ghosts.

What are these hands for if I can't bring you fallen rain?
What are these eyes for if I can't see the moon watch over you?
What are these arms for if I can't hold you through the night?
What does this heart beat for, if I can't lay by your side?
You must know, I was made for you.

We'll walk upon the hill, so high above the city, and count the rooftops down below.
Lay on the grass, dream out loud.
Catch runaway trains, dance in the rain.
Someday, you'll take my name.

Kneel down in the moonlight.
Let your hair fall down around.
Blow out all your candles tonight, and I believe you will see I was made for you.

What are these hands for?

What are these arms for if I can't hold you through the night?
What does this heart beat for if I can't lay by your side?
You must know, I was made for you.
Ohhh...

Gonna bring you fallen rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home