20050711

Cool Program - PixResizer

Okay, now, this is THE program of all programs. Well, okay, so maybe it's AMONGST the programs of all programs. Regardless, it's awesome. The program is called PIXResizer, available at snapfiles.com and I'm sure others. It works!!

I was going through a whole bunch of pictures from my last vacation and was manually resizing the ones I wanted to eventually throw onto my website. There's a slight problem there. I have a _lot_ of pictures! If I wanted to really do right by my website, I'd have thumbnails AND somewhat larger images for people to open up if they WANTED to use up their (and my) bandwidth. This of course means that I /should/ be creating two new copies of each picture I wish to put on the site. Yeah, right! With MY photo editor?! I think not. I love it dearly (Photo Express, it came with my old Jazz camera), but resizing means opening every single picture, changing to pixels, typing in the width (luckily it defaults to locking ratio), applying, saving, confirming saving to lossy images, and closing that pic to get to another one. Ha. I don't THINK so.

Enter my search for a program to do it for me, quickly, efficiently, and EASILY. I'm not stupid, I know that. It's not that I couldn't figure out some alternate way to do it myself. But with all the computer stuff I /do/ know, I don't exactly have the time to do something tedious and waste my resources when there are more pressing, interesting, and/or fun things to do (such as writing about cool programs in my blog and eating peanut butter creme Oreo's out of a cup full of milk).

The program is indeed easy. You open it up, select "multiple files" (at least for my purposes), select the folder where the pics are you want resized (it even has an option for subfolders! yikes, be still my beating heart!!), select a folder to put the new ones in (you can even make a new folder there!) and then specify what size you want them to become.

Not ONLY does it do everything for you within a minute (I resized 510 pictures from 1280x960 pixels to 640x480 pixels in approximately 30 seconds), BUT... get THIS... it's so smart, it even made sure that my portrait pictures (960x1280 pixels) were resized proportionately - i.e., to 480x640!! It realized the pictures were not all oriented the same and simply swapped the numbers around for me!!

The best part of this program is that it's FREE.

I've often been impressed by free programs, and this one is certainly one of them. It's going into my list of staple programs and onto my specialized CDs full of goodies. Gotta keep these things readily available, you know! :)

Perfect Pictures,

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home