20050609

Digital TV

Okay. I understand the FCC requiring devices to not interfere with other devices. Which, incidentally, still happens - otherwise cell phones wouldn't interfere with hospital equipment and microwaves wouldn't trigger pacemakers. BUT... requiring manufacturers to make certain /kinds/ of equipment just so THEY can meet their own deadline is completely out of line.

http://msnbc.msn.com/ID/8157867

I am one of the few people I know who hardly ever watches TV. It's not because I can't have cable or satellite - in fact, I had cable tv last year and finally cancelled it because the tv set had been turned on maybe twice in six months (both for sci-fi shows, I'm sure). Why pay for something when I don't even use it? Where I grew up, we had 20 channels over the air. I watched far more of it then than I do now, even with my paid-for "clear picture." It's something called "having a life." Granted, I've spent countless hours at a computer by choice. But unlike half of America these days, I still know how to read books, do puzzles, and enjoy the company of others (even my critters). What is wrong with America when we spend gazillions of dollars on a television that brings in digital signals so we can see someone eating worms with crystal clarity?

Personally, I'd much rather rent movies and shows on DVD - no, actually, VHS since they actually don't skip as much as DVD's do - and forego the commercials that we pay for (twice!) that show up so stunningly beautiful because we've paid half our salary for a honkin' tv that shows every little hair follicle on someone's nose.

Ooh! Look! I bet she had a nose-hair job...

Count me in the 15% of homes who do not get digitized. I prefer to stay active and avoid becoming the couch potato the FCC obviously wants me to become. What next? Subliminal messages? Why are they so gung-ho on requiring 85% of American homes to have digital tv's? What is so important that we need to see news and other broadcasts with no snow or distortion?

Are we finally going all the way with pay-tv? Pay for the set, pay for the programming, pay for the commercials, and pay for all products advertised? Where are our grandmothers and grandfathers? Does anyone remember when "they" tried to get us to buy televisions and then pump in change to watch each program? So we had the uproar, and they backed off, and used commercials to pay for the shows? And then cable came along. I remember in the 80's how cable tv was a luxury that you paid for in order to get uninterrupted, "crystal clear" signal with no snow. Then between then and the time I finally paid attention to cable tv again, I noticed all the commercials. You pay for commercials every ten minutes? What's with that?

Count me out.

Maybe the FCC should become a bit more strict with how badly Cell phones and microwaves affect medical equipment and leave America to figure out its own priorities.

End of rant.

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home