20041120

Selene is da bomb of computers

Selene, my first-born computer (in other words, the first computer I ever built), is DA BOMB. She's awesome, stable, beautiful, rugged, powerful, and just plain... wait, I already mentioned she was awesome...

I built her in 2001 after going to an A+ cert class (never did get certified though, I should prolly do that at some point huh?) and still remember the sweat and anticipation as I flipped her switch on for the first time. Oh, the nervous ears attached to my head, perking up to every little sound, unsure of whether the sounds were good or bad! Well, other than a failed power supply a few months ago, she's had an awesome track record as far as hardware goes.

Selene is a Pentium III, 866MHz, running 256MB of SD-RAM. Her motherboard is an Intel D815EEA. I've got two 40GB Maxtor 7200RPM hard drives in her, the main drive of which is sandwiched in between the floppy and the other hard drive and wow does it get hot. It's been running hot for too long perhaps, and I've known the drive has been on its way out for about a year, but still it hangs on despite the occasional whistle it emits. Not even a bad sector. Some of my geek friends poo-poo Maxtor's hard drives, but this baby's 3.5 years old and even with the treatment I give it, it's still working, so poo-poo on them.

She's got Windows 98se, the original operating system I put on her (although I admit I've reinstalled it several times). The last reinstall of this o/s was ... well, it was probably over six months ago. I typically give her a complete overhaul every six months or so, and sure enough she's begun to have some issues. I've only got a gazillion programs on her, after all. But then last night someone mentioned that HIS 98se has been running flawlessly for years with not reinstall. I got a bit miffed inside. Never cared about reinstalling before, but suddenly I'm like, hmph, maybe I should look for other solutions, don't really feel like reinstalling everything and respecifying all the paths and such to the program files. Ugh, no, not again, not when I'm so busy these days. So I scrounged around in my start menu and found the all-familiar Norton Utilities 2002.

This found 18 errors in Windows and fixed 17 of them. It said the errors could cause programs to run improperly, or Windows could crash. Nah, really? So I let it do its thing. So far so good, no more crashes, but it was only half an hour ago that I did that. Selene hasn't been heavily hit by my multitasking yet. Currently she's only got two instances of Mozilla, Winamp, and Trillian going, along with the usual load of pgp, AVG, Logitech and ZA. That is hardly anything compared to what she's USED to. I'm probably one of the worst multitaskers there is.

So, I did do a scan of Selene for viruses, fragmentation, spyware, and general disk errors like bad sectors and file screwups. NOTHING. No spyware, no viruses, as usual. I've only had the one virus and I was the idiot who went against all my laws and put it there AND cleaned it up myself within an hour. People at work told me that with my heavy internet usage I should have a tonne of spyware, and that Webroot's SpySweeper would be far better than AdAware in removing the things I'm not seeing [because I'm using the wrong spyware remover]. So I took their advice and installed SpySweeper. It found nothing more than a piece of an office suite I used on occasion. I did some research and it wasn't even spyware! There was NOTHING on her. Nothing. And no, ladies and gentlemen, you do NOT have to accept cookies in order to view every website. There are a few that are idiots and require such measures, but we all have the option of refusing to go to those sites, right? I accept very few cookies despite what the people at work tried to tell me. They aren't the ones using Mozilla. I am.

Selene is a workhorse. She's gone through more crap than I can shake a stick at, and it was all my fault, too, yet still she seems to respect me enough to continue beating the living daylights out of the electricity that flows lovingly through her circuitry. I get ticked when she begins slowing down and having issues, but I always know that she'll come out of it okay because I'm her mom and I make sure that when she starts complaining, I fix what's wrong. I love her sooooooo much it almost hurts.

I'm beginning to sound like a guy and his truck... maybe worse... female techies are probably far worse, actually...

(((((((((((selene)))))))))))) love you, baby. Oh yeah, and I love you, too, Raven, and you, Darin, and Lizzie, and Ian, and Beastie, and Axcelibur, and Scotty of course... ::happy sigh::

~nvnohi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home