20050219

Sprint's policies re: Anytime Minutes after 9pm

I just got off the phone with Sprint, who did not impress me in the beginning but they've been fairly decent to deal with otherwise. (There was a bit of a screwup regarding my initial payment, and then they wanted to charge ME for THEIR mistake, I don't THINK so, but they fixed it with some persistent nudging from me - namely, threatening to send the whole damned phone back to them...)

Anywho, months later, I've been happy overall. But it's nice to now understand that they CHARGE ANYTIME MINUTES FOR TIME PAST 9PM. I've got 300 anytime minutes included in my bill. I've also got unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited PCS Vision (the Vision - aka internet/chat - is an extra $15/month, but for a geek like me, it's worth it. Okay, don't ask).

So, I get my bill this month and it's charging me an extra $17.50. I'm thinking, zheezh, I know I went into a new tier, but CRIPES!! So I looked, and they're charging me for using 469 anytime minutes - 169 minutes over my included 300!! I knew I'd talked a lot last billing cycle, but I was /somewhat/ careful about when...

After some research I discovered that yes, I did use 469 minutes on calls made prior to 9pm, M-F. However, I included ALL minutes of those calls that were made before 9pm in my calculation. TWO of these calls just happened to run OVER the 9pm mark. So, I thought, is their policy to continue those minutes into 9pm as Anytime minutes, even though it's now in the unlimited nights and weekends portion of the evening?

Yes. It is.

So I accumulated an additional 107 minutes on a 122-minute call because I PLACED it at 8:45pm. A second call was made at 7:22pm and went 124 minutes - 12 of which were after 9pm. In all, that means that 119 minutes that were being used during the unlimited nights and weekends were charged to my Anytime plan. Which, consequently, brought me from the $5 bracket (326-350 add'l minutes) to the $17.50 bracket (451-475 minutes)!

So, needless to say, despite the laughs this will likely cause, I'll be checking my watch a bit more closely and, if a call approaches 9pm while I'm talking, I'm going to call the person back after nine to avoid this accumulation of minutes.

I do not understand their policy regarding this, and I didn't bother fighting it because I figure maybe the benefits of nights/weekends is caused by some special equipment change, but I will say that they never mentioned it to me until I went and asked. Nowhere in their literature did they say, "Unlimited nights and weekends only applies to calls made DURING those periods."

2 Comments:

Blogger ~nv said...

Oh. So that's how this works. I see...

13:54  
Blogger /amy joy/ said...

<<(Think I'm thinking up all kinds of nonsense just to have it erased, you're nuts.)>>

That's hiLARious!
:D

08:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home