20040201

Logitech Keyboard - Black Elite

I just want to praise this keyboard, even though it doesn't support Mozilla at the moment as far as its extra "internet" keys go. Also, note that I bought this about a year ago, but I didn't have this blog then. The reason I thought to write this, in fact, is because I just emailed the Logitech peoples requesting they support Mozilla, and ran across a few reviews of this baby. I HAD to add my own opinions. That's ego for you.

First off, I bought it because a lady at work got the blue/gray version of this keyboard, and I had the priviledge of typing on it for a few days whilst filling in for her. O...M...G... talk about bliss!! I checked out the prices and decided against buying one since it was over $20 - I spent $6 on my awesome (yet simple) IBM keyboard with no frills whatsoever aside from being black and quite comfy on the lap.

Then we were told we could order any keyboard and mouse we wanted for the computer in the main area where I /normally/ work. I immediately recommended the Black Elite, having seen it out there when looking at that blue/gray one. WE GOT IT!!

Well, I fell in love with it immediately and had it all programmed within an hour. It was then that I knew I would have to get one for home, despite a hefty pricetag of $53. For someone who normally spends $6 on a keyboard, that's a lot. It was well-worth it.

I had a few issues getting it to work with Winamp 3 when it came out, but Logitech has since fixed that so there's no need to hack it any more like I had to do. Strangely, while no support is listed for winamp 5.1, it works perfectly!

The look: sleek, black, rounded, flat keyboard with silverish accents around the audio and wheel controls. It really does resemble something out of a science fiction movie. My ultimate dream is to get a special chair and attach this keyboard to a movable arm like in Star Trek. LOL.

The feel: Very light touch. The keys seem very loose, but it's not broken! The tippity-tap of keystrokes is quieter than even my IBM (which I thought was fairly quiet). It's easy to type fast on this thing if you've got the nimble fingers to go with it. I've easily reached 73wpm.

The features: Eight programmable (albeit pre-labelled) keys which can access any site or folder or file you want. With the F-Lock key you also have 12 F keys that you can program with the same diversity. The best part, however, is the set of media controls. The software has been updated since Winamp 3 came out and it works well even with Winamp 5.1. It also seems to work well with Media Player and MusicMatch Jukebox (we have those at work). Very handy in the office for playing music because of the Mute button - phone calls can now be answered in one ring instead of three! The navigation wheel on the left side of the keyboard is great when set to volume - it's very handy and easily accessible to the left ring finger (at least for me). I prefer this over the circular wheel at the top of the keyboard (although I prefer /that/ over the buttons used on the gray/blue version of the keyboard). It's simply more accessible for such a thing. This is by far the most handy feature I've ever seen. You can also use it to switch applications, zoom in, scroll, access Favourites, and go into My Pictures and My Music. Obviously I seldom use them, but it's easy to press the wheel and select the new choice. The Go button is great when used with I.E., but unfortunately the eight keys and the Go button do not work with Mozilla. ::cries::

My ONLY real gripe (aside from wanting it to be fully compatible with Mozilla) is that the F-Lock key cannot seem to be programmed to come on automatically at bootup. I seldom use the programmable F keys but do use the normal windows F keys often (especially Alt-F4 to close programs). This is annoying. However, I've become accustomed to simply turning it on after entering my keytext password, so it's not THAT evil and fully ignorable considering the media controls and the typing comfort.

I now understand why people pay big bucks for keyboards. LOL. Oh yeah, and naming this keyboard the "Elite" certainly appeals to certain types of computer lovers, lol.

Feeling happily geeky today,

~nvnohi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home