20060823

Raven's got issues, ugh

Well, I've been having some crashing issues lately, but so far since I blew some dust out of my video card, reseated it, took out the light, and removed one of the hard drives, it's been ok.

This problem has, however, been intermittent. So I've installed SpeedFan and am waiting to see if it crashes. SF is set to email me when the temp hits a certain temp, which it's now doing. I figure I can isolate whether it's caused by overheating if I see it hit an even higher temp shortly before it crashes. This can be partially monitored by the number of emails I get after a consistent high, which should only get higher.

At least, it seems plausible.

The a/c is now shut off as it used to be, and temps are holding steady for now. The chassis temp I'm used to seeing is right around 48C, which was normal until I had these problems. My on-die temp is currently 60. I've seen this at 61C on bootup after a crash but it's occasionally reached 63C already with no online disconnects. Time will tell.

On a side note, I realized that one of my drives is still unhealthy. I remembered that I needed to back things up on that drive, but I forgot that there was a reason. I figured I was being paranoid since the loss of pictures on my other drive last month (which has been since removed in an attempt to correct this new intermittent issue).

At least it's only 80GB, and for now, only contains 1GB of data I /want/. The rest contains o/s, a few programs and blank space. Big whup. And that 1GB is backed up, indeed. :)

Interestingly, while the removable hard drive has had issues for over a year, and this smaller one has had its share of dyingness, I've not had a real problem with either so long as Windows XP keeps its nose out of my business. And more interesting to me is that this supposed hardware problem I'm having now has started since I've become increasingly eager to buy myself a Mac. I thought Selene was the only jealous one. (She's always started acting up when I start looking at new computers.)

Okay, getting lots of beeps, I'm anticipating some internet failure soon. Time will tell. I'm going off to shower.

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home