20060823

Raven update

So far so good. I let things crank themselves up to 61C on-die. No loss of internet connectivity whatsoever. However, the test is incomplete because I forgot to reset the 65C limit in the BIOS for auto shutdown. Doh. So when the die finally spiked up and hit 65C, she shut down. Whups.

However, this went on for a good hour before 65C was reached. I tried a few different things: a/c on fan; a/c on low; a/c on medium; a/c off; a/c off with cover back on Raven. The last is what finally drove the temps up in a half-hour or so. And the moment I removed the cover again, the reboot was flawless.

These are the possible conclusions thus far, keeping in mind that I seldom need to troubleshoot such hardware problems:
01. Power supply was overloaded and is on its way out. Removing a hard drive and a light may have improved its load (temporarily).
02. Hard drive was throwing issues at board.
03. Hard drive was throwing issues at power supply.
03. Light was screwing with the power supply.
04. Video card needed reseating.
05. Video card needed dusting.
06. Issue still exists and simply has not presented itself again.
07. I imagined the whole thing.

My first course of action from this point on is to continue monitoring heat output and wait for the problem to recur. If it does not do it in the next month, I will plug my removable hard drive back in and see what happens. This drive is known to have some weird issues (with XP at least). So if the problem recurs after it is reinstalled, I will suspect it first. However, I still suspect the psu, too, and will not completely overlook it as a possibility. This is a common mistake and I'm not willling to kill Raven just yet by ignoring this.

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home