20050809

Steak v.s. TV Dinner

Dear Blog:

It just hit me that eating a tv dinner is actually /cheaper/ (as well as easier) than making my usual steak, veggies and potatoes.

I normally spend $5-6 on a piece of steak. This is enough for two nights as I'm little and am usually cooking only for myself. So then I have a bag of corn which can last quite some time, maybe a baked sweet potato for oh, 50 cents or so if that, not really sure how much they are. Add to that a side of bread, like a roll or something, maybe another 10-20 cents.

The steak, by itself, would cost approximately $3 per meal. This here pot roast tv dinner I just got was $2 and you plop it in the oven for a mere 23 minutes. That's already a buck a night savings and that doesn't even account for the veggies, potatoes and bread. The steak dinner I normally make doesn't take more 'n 23 minutes (save for the occasional baked sweet potato) but the dirty pans and plates make it more than desirable to simply cook right in a disposable plastic tray.

I still don't understand why things can cook in the oven in a plastic tray, but they seem to have done something to make that ok.

Anywho, my dinner is almost done now. Ah, here it is! The tray is slightly warped, but... well, I guess they still need to work on that a bit. Hopefully the plastic carcinogens haven't leaked into my food too much. Let's just remove this film cover now... ahhh... the aroma of pot... roast? Wait a second! This doesn't exactly smell like pot roast! I'll try some. It's gotta taste better than it looks!

*tastes*

Um, yeah, well, given the quantity of... um... "food" they give you, perhaps the steak is a bit of a better deal... this here Candian White bread I just got from the kitchen is pretty good, though. Just dunk it in a little of this monosodium glutamate sauce the tv dinner peoples include with the round pot-roast-cardboard slices and we'll be in business!!

Note that the corn is actually pretty good...

Sticking to Steak,

~me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home