20040826

Lancelot's properties page

Sorry, I've been redesigning my webpages and couldn't resist using that term...

I just fed four crickets to Lancelot. FOUR! In a row!! And I'll tell ya, he might be hunting, but he's not exactly exercising. I mean, yes, it takes some skill to actually catch a cricket in one's mouth and gobble it up whilst looking happy. But the energy required to do all this is nothing compared to what a lion might do, running all over, chasing its prey. Oh no. This lizard doesn't do that! He just sits there, letting the bugs run all over the place, until one of them comes right up to him to say hi. Then he'll lunge at it. The most I've seen him move for food is about six inches. And he's currently looking around as if he's still hungry! I don't dare release any more crickets in there in case he's one of those piggy lizards. Getting fat can't be good for a green anole, right?

Anyway, in the not-quite-two-weeks since I've had him, I've learned a LOT. These are just some of the things I've observed:

1. Patience is top priority with my little fella.
2. Man-handling is very much frowned upon, even gentle man-handling.
3. Lancelot want to feel like he's in control.
4. Green anoles blend in with their surroundings VERY easily. Even on black mesh.
5. Green anoles, despite their quiet, slow nature, can jump pretty damned quick with little or no prompting.
6. Crickets are food of choice over mealworms. Apparently it's because they move fast and seem more of a challenge or something.
7. Mealworms need to be refrigerated!! Yes, they'll eventually turn into beetles!! I didn't know that, either. Apparently the cold slows down the process and extends "shelf" life, haha, get it, they're food, oh never mind...
8. Cooler is better for Lancie. He seems to really hate temps above 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. The waterfall I put in there for him is actually rather soothing. However, whilst watching TV I have to frequently remind myself that I did NOT leave the water running in the kitchen. Also, my bathroom trips have increased somewhat... not sure why...
10. Lancie turns bright green when he appears to be happy. Or at least curious, interested, and/or hunting. He also tends to turn this colour when he's sleeping. Thus far brown seems to be a less desirable colour, although pet shop people and the internet say otherwise. They could be right for all I know. Regardless, there are many shades of brown which Lancelot has exhibited: mottled, which thus far has only appeared when I've personally spooked Lancie; nearly solid barkish colour, which seems to be temperature- and/or loneliness-related; and then the inbetweens, which seem to be too difficult to separate for a good idea on what each might mean. Then there's the mottled brown head with brown line down the back, which usually begins the whole turning-brown(ish) process. Sometimes I can figure out what's wrong before it goes all the way, and sometimes I can't. Sometimes it goes green again on its own.

Green anoles are very shy, territorial, bug-loving critters that require a LOT of patience. They're not cheap to get started, either. At least, not if you read up on them and take proper care of them. Thus far I've spent a little over $200 on this dude. This includes a reptarium, waterfall, fake plants, humidifier (which thus far I've yet to need to install, it must be humid in the house this year), thermometer/hygrometer, uva/uvb light, shade for it, and at some point I need to get a heat lamp for him. The bugs aren't terribly expensive, but are definitely costing more than gerbil food. I think I really could have gotten away with using the 10-gallon aquarium I had but he seems soooo much happier in this thing and the waterfall fits in there, which provides running water for him as well as aesthetic beauty.

What are the rewards of my efforts? A mesmerizing, delicate little green thing that occasionally moves. Eyes that follow me around the room, observing. And on occasion, he'll even come and sit on me. So worth the effort on my part. It's even worth the patience, believe it or not! And that's saying a lot coming from me!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home