20031222

The Bird Who Wouldn't Fly South

I was just writing to a friend and gave this parable, which I believe my mom told me years ago. I've always loved it and since I've had the opportunity to type it again, I'll post it here as well. I love copy and paste.

Once there was a little birdie that decided he didn't want to fly south for the winter. So, as the other birds flew away, he stayed behind. Then the winds came, and soon the snow. Before long the birdie decided that perhaps he would be better off following the others after all, so he took off from his cold, bare tree branch.

He flew against the cold wind, but soon ice formed on his wings and he could no longer fly. He fell to the ground into a cow pasture, cold, shivering, and miserable. As it so happened, a cow happened along and flapped on the little birdie.

The warmth from the flap thawed the bird out and he was so happy he began to sing!! How good it felt to be warm again!! However, the farm's cat heard the singing and came to investigate. Upon finding the bird in the flap, it promptly pulled him out and ate him.

Three morals to this story:

1. Someone who shits on you isn't necessarily your enemy.
2. Someone who pulls you out of a pile of shit isn't necessarily your friend.
3. If you're happy in a pile of shit, keep your beak shut about it.

Of course, this also illustrates that sometimes the crowd is right, but this is the chance we all have to take when we think for ourselves. Personally, I'd rather be the bird than the cat. That poop couldn't have tasted very good...

~nvnohi

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Kern said...

Thank you for writing up this parable. My manager at work suggested I read this when I related a gaff I committed (see your moral of the story #3) a few years back, and although I lived to tell the tale and in doing so learned a very valuable lesson in life, it was unfortunate that the cat in my story didn't seem to mind the unpleasant taste I was enveloped in when he gobbled me right up :-)

Your morals of the story are spot on insights, and I really enjoyed your humorous insights.

12:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home