20060224

CARS!!!!!

Okay, okay, so mom might be slightly right about me having to have three of everything. But how can I not?? Look at these little buggers:

http://www.toyota.com/matrix/index.html?s_van=GM_TN_MATRIX_INDEX
http://www.toyota.com/prius/index.html?s_van=GM_TN_PRIUS_INDEX
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/exterior_colors.asp?ModelName=Civic+Hybrid
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/exterior_colors.asp?ModelName=Civic+Si
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/exterior_colors.asp?ModelName=Insight

First we have the Toyota Matrix XR. 126hp@6000 rpm, 5-speed manual, 36.8 ft curb to curb, 36MPG, five doors, fog lights, 115V power jack in the back, a moonroof, 171.3 in length (as opposed to my truck's 208 inches!)... anywho, it's freakin' cool. I LOVES it because if you open the hatchback, you can throw the 60/40 seats down and there are two tracks going back to front that you can attach tiedowns to (like my truck's tie-down cleats). Not that I'd need such a thing in a car, but it's freakin' awesome to me because I love such gadgetry and ... YOU NEVER KNOW!! Plus the power outlet... again, no idea what I'd actually use it for, but... nice to have back there. Maybe if you were out somewhere and your cell died, no need for a special inverter... oh, colour-wise, I'd get the Silver Streak Mica or Phantom Gray Pearl. Probably the former. It just looks ... right.

Next we've got the Toyota Prius Hybrid. This puppy does 110HP, it's electric AND gas, and gets 60/51 (according to the literature, that's city/highway - sounds more suitable to city driving?)... It's a funky looking little bugger. I like it best in that Driftwood Pearl, although the Silver Pine Mica and the Magnetic Gray aren't bad. Somehow the Driftwood just seems natural for a hybrid like this one, though. Don't ask me why...

Then there's the Honda Civic Hybrid. I think it's sleekest in Alabaster Silver Metallic. Also hitting 110HP, 34.8!! curb-to-curb (I might be slightly hung up on that), 176.7 inches long (lower curb to curb yet longer than the Matrix... hmm...) and 49/51 city/highway. You can get a navigational system put in it, it's got an awesome display right on the dash for that, OMG the SPEEDOMETER!! It's right at the top of the dash so us short people can actually see it over the steering wheel!! Plus the whole display is just cool. The only thing I'm not keen on is the shifting lever... it somehow looks more obscene than most... LOL Oh, and the fact it's got a trunk. I'm not a big trunk person. You can have audio on the wheel, though, a feature very handy for when you're, well, driving!

And of course there's the related one, the Honda Civic SI. Nighthawk Black Pearl, all the way, baby! Looks nice in blue, too, but... anywho, other than being similar to the hybrid version, it's got the cool spoiler in the back. Again, though, the trunk... LOL But OMG is this baby cool in black. Still, I love these new Civics...

Finally, there's the Honda Insight Hybrid. Tiny, 66mpg (yes, 66!) and really rather sleek, the only thing I dislike about it is its lack of gadgets. BUT the display is awesome, digital but VERY reminiscent of the old 8-bit videogames with its big orange speedometer. tee hee hee So I like old games, byte me! The one thing that particularly interested me gadget-wise is the 6-cd changer that mounts in the cargo area. And of course it's a hatchback. Also, if the wheel covers in the back don't easily pop off, I'd have issues with it for two reasons - one, if I needed to change a tire, and two, if I wanted to wash the tires and up in there. Hm. I wonder if you need to be more careful with hybrids when washing underneath the carriage... On the other hand, if they DID pop off easily, I'd worry about them FALLING off easily...

Anywho, I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooo in love with these guys... Right now I think my first choice is the Prius. But it keeps oscillating back and forth between that and the Matrix. I think either of the civics would hold my attention BIG time if it weren't for the trunks. Hmph.

Off I go...

~nv

2 Comments:

Blogger pencil said...

Heh! I miss my 2000 Civic Si. It's not a WRX STi by any stretch, but it's also almost zero maintenance, so it's a nice trade-off. If you do go this route, consider getting Kumho Ecsta Supra Z tires on all four corners. The change over the stock tires must be felt to be appreciated. But by all means try out all of the cars on your list! FWIW, hybrids do tend to do better in city driving because of the regenerative braking.

01:29  
Blogger ~nv said...

Kumho Ecsta Supra Z tires. What a mouthful. I'll have to jot that one into my other log just in case I forget (which I most likely will). Then if I ever do get a Civic Si, I'll have that information... somewhere!

Of course my other car of choice isn't made anymore, but it's probably for the best because the ONLY reasons I like it is 1) the 80's version was on Knight Rider and I loved the show and 2) they look so COOL. I'm not a used car fan, but if I ever found a cheap one I could put into a heated garage... I'd deck that sucker out with a personal computer and sit out there for days.

But yeah, hybrids in the city - goooood...

13:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home