20060209

Rainbow Paper Underneath

There was this special paper I once used as a kid in school. It was of a dark, waxy color, usually black, but they also had dark red, blue, green, etc. You took a scraper thingie and scratched lines into it. The waxy top coat came off to reveal rainbow colours underneath. A kid could make some pretty cool drawings in this manner!

I remember trying to duplicate the concept with markers, white paper, and crayons. I'd take a piece of white paper, colour it in rainbow colours with markers, and then lay a heavy coat of white crayon over it. I'd clear off the excess white crayon and this made a clear protective coat on the coloured marker/paper. Then I'd take a dark colour (usually black!) and carefully colour over the white. This put a darker layer of wax on top of the white but it didn't adhere to the paper because it never touched it. Wax is easy to scrape off of wax, so I had, essentially, a rough duplicate of the special paper.

Kids, you can try it at home! Moms, it's fun, and you may want to give your kids this idea!

Anyway, while I thought about all this, I realized that the black on rainbow paper is much like we are. We as humans are covered in a dark exterior, while our rainbows are lying just beneath. All it takes is a few scratches on the surface and our light shines out. Unfortunately, the black stuff can smudge and this happens often with us, so sometimes our light gets covered up again.

Remember that all the colours of the rainbow make up white light. Despite what my art teacher tried to tell me.

~nv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home