20111016

windows 98!!

I've been trying to get my Handspring Visor Edge from the year 2000 to work on my 2011 macbook pro and synch up.  (What?!  The technologies are only 11 years apart!!)  This is what I've found so far.

- Won't work with Snow Leopard.  Handspring stopped updating its software at least one or two versions ago.  Whups...
- Recommended using third-party software.  Checked that out, but they didn't support the Visor Edge model.  I've recommended they do at least twice and haven't heard back.
- Won't work with Windows 7, too new.  Recommended the same as the above.  Dammit!
- Installed Windows 95 as a VM.
- My old handspring software looked like it might work!!  But it wanted Windows Socket 2 update.
- Found the Socket 2 update on Microsoft's website.  Wow!  I was impressed!!
- Handspring software installed fine!!
- Found out Handspring software only supports serial connections in Windows 95.  No serials here.  DAMMIT!!
- Installed Windows 98se as a VM.
- Handspring software worked well.
- Problem is, Windows cannot see the USB driver.  DAMMIT!!  Won't synch!!
- Discovered you can add a virtual serial port to VM... did so for Windows 98se...
- Cannot figure out what the serial port /does/... or how to use it...

- RESEARCH CONTINUES.

Note that the above has taken several hours over the last year... whenever I get the inkling to get this thing working again... see, I currently use my $389 piece of old technology for shopping lists.  I would like to get an old game called hmaki on there.  The only way for me to do that is to get the thing to synch up to one of my computers.  I could just hook it up to Selene, who already has 98se, the handspring software, and probably the hmaki program on her, but... that would be way too easy.  I want something more... accessible.

Maybe if I got a usb to serial to usb converter...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home