20100718

Rule Number One: Cook Lentils Separately

So I decided to make some basmati, and as I was dumping it into the water it hit me:  Lentils would be /awesome/ in rice.  Especially since I was also dumping curry, cumin, and coriander into the stuff.  Since lentils take about 20 minutes to cook, just like basmati, I figure why not dump everything in the pot and cook the whole kit and kaboodle for 20 minutes?  So I did.

The lentils don't steam.  I neglected to realize that they require actual water to cook, not steam, like my beloved rice.

So I had to dump in another two cups of water and let it boil dry, pretty much.  And it did, too, because I forgot about it too long.  But thankfully the crunchy sides were easily rehydrated by mixing it back in.  Now the lentils are mostly done but it's the stickiest basmati I have ever eaten.

It's wonderfully seasoned, however, and with a splash of fake soy sauce, it's a beat.  I want to try some real soy sauce soon.  I didn't know there were different kinds and that the kind I've been getting isn't even really that real.  So, Tamari it is, next time...

~w

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home