20031212

Juno

I very recently had an IM conversation with a friend and she asked me to email her (to test a new account). So I did, and said it would be there in five minutes or under. Yeah, I know. Five minutes for one little test email? Doubtful, right? Well, that was pretty much HER response as well. So I explained my reasoning for this time allotment.

I told her, "Juno's a bit slow at times, so I always overestimate. Otherwise I have people saying, "It's not here yet. It's not here yet. Why isn't it here yet? Are you sure you sent it to id10ts@reus.com? Positive? How do you know? Are you SURE you sent it at ALL? WHY ISN'T IT HERE YET?!" Then I added, "At which point I'd get all huffy and insist Juno is THE best email program out there, despite its occasional slowness and the objections of my peers." She, of course, laughed, but it reminded me just how much of a supporter of Juno I really am. It's true that my emails can sometimes take up to a whole minute (imagine, a whole MINUTE in CYBERSPACE) to reach their destination once they've left my computer. Yes, I admit that openly. For it is not the speed at which my email travels that excites me. It is the software which my email departs from.

Oh, yes, I am an AVID supporter of Juno's email software. It's the most wonderful software I have ever used. Let me illustrate this for you.

One day, I came down to play with Selene. She's the workhorse computer I call my firstborn, and rightfully so - this is the first computer I ever built. Anyway, I'd had her on for about a week, maybe a day or two over that, without a single reboot. For Windows 98se, that's pretty darned good. Especially considering the programs I'd been opening, closing, and leaving open on her for most of that time: Cakewalk (which was open for about three days), PhotoExpress (opened and closed repeatedly for the whole week), about 20 IE windows coming and going, a few chat clients (this was prior to my knowledge of Trillian), and of course, Juno.

So, I open Juno again, amidst my dozen or so windows, and begin a rather lengthy email. On and on it goes. About a page and half worth's later, I begin noticing that the ... coloring ... looks ... odd ...

Suddenly I realize that Selene's been up and running without a reboot for over a week! And Cakewalk is still open and connected to my keyboard! AND -- uh oh, photo express is open, and... yikes!! About fifteen IE windows are open, and three chat clients...

Quickly I toggle to one of my chat clients and the colours get weirder. So I keycut to my computer properties and discover - GASP - memory resources are at, get this, SEVEN PERCENT.

For those of you familiar with Windows 98, I don't need to tell you what that means. For those of you who are currently clueless, this is a HUGE ISSUE. Windows usually demands at least 30 percent resources to remain free, and if it doesn't get them, a crash is fairly certain to occur. In fact, usually a computer will begin to get sluggish and irritable when things go below 50%. I knew then and there I had a huge problem and it was HIGHLY unlikely that I would be able to rescue my email before everything crashed.

Such is life. I grabbed Ian, my laptop, and began feverishly retyping the part of the email I could still see on Selene. I may lose the top portion of the email, but at least I'd have SOMEthing to remember my ramblings by! So I finished that, and then thought, perhaps I can just scroll up a wee bit...

I didn't get the chance to hit the arrow up key. The moment my cautious finger approached the keyboard, Selene rebooted herself. No errors, no messages, not even a warning. Just... a reboot. The screen went black, and suddenly I had the familiar boot screen. I froze, realizing my email was lost forever.

Selene finished up with her self tests and Windows ambled back into place after its all-too-familiar Scandisk application ran a few times to check all the drives. It was as if nothing had happened. I sighed and opened Juno with a heavy heart. I'd have to type that all back in, and it wouldn't be the same. Oh well. Worse things could have happened. At least Selene's hard drives were still alive and spinning.

That's when my eyes fell upon an unfamiliar message. I blinked in confusion as I read something along the lines of "Do you wish to continue an auto-saved email that occured due to an unexpected instability?" I can't remember the exact words of the message. I wish I could. But I remember that this was the essence of the message. Still in a state of confusion, I mustered enough courage to click "Yes." What appeared next shocked me to happy tears.

My email reappeared before my eyes - complete and intact, right down to the very last letter I'd typed before I'd noticed anything wrong!!

Emotions coursed through my body - surprise, excitement, pleasure, rapture, and... love. This may sound crazy to many people, but I was so happy and emotional that I jumped out of my chair and hugged Selene as tight as a girl could hug a midtower.

"I LOVE YOU!!" I sobbed, taking care not to blubber moisture on her aluminum skin.

Selene whirred modestly and said nothing.

I got up, finished my email, sent it, and vowed to myself that I would promote Juno as long as I lived. It isn't every day that you find software that can detect imminent system crashes and save your work in the nick of time.

Anyway, the website is www.juno.com and you can download the software there and sign up for free. I pay for mine, $4.95 a month, and I will continue to pay them as long as I use it because to me, it's worth their efforts. But they do offer it free-of-charge as well.

Okay, that's my blogging effort for today. Laters!

~nvnohi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home